NYT

NYT

Breaking Rules

Breaking Rules

Confluence

Confluence

Pretending

Pretending

Suffering

Suffering

Art Survives

Art Survives
Well, we are leaving this Friday. It is hard to believe that this is the third trip in as many years. I thank God for a supportive family and the resources that allow me to make the trip to reunite with our African brothers and sisters again. As I have prepared for this trip, I have been struck by the emotions and perspective and how they have changed from year to year. My first trip was somewhat of a last minute “whim” and there were more preconceptions than there was preparation. As we now approach the third trip, the preconceptions have mostly dissipated and what remains is just a longing to see some dear friends. Also, there is a conviction that the power of God can work in the midst of brokenness and suffering and that it is the gravity of brokenness that demonstrates the weight of redemption. Maintaining hope in suffering is one of the largest barriers to faith. But, what He asks of us, He has already done for us. And He now calls us to play our part. Whether it be the literal Africa half a world away or the figurative Africa in our backyard, we are challenged to trust in the middle of the mystery and the messiness. As we are reminded in 1 Corinthians 13, "12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love." This year, I am eager to see my friends. And I am eager to teach with them and be taught by them. And as 1 Corinthians challenges, I am excited to see God's love in the ministry, to teach about God's love in marriage, and to be challenged by God's love to let go. Faith and love have that in common. They both involve letting go. And hope is the magic of what returns.